Transfer Students

    Transfer students play an important role in the Washington College community because they bring a unique perspective to the campus and a keen appreciation for all that Washington College has to offer.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Who do I talk to about transferring my credits from my previous institution?

    All admitted applicants receive a preliminary credit review of their transcripts within 2 weeks of the admission decision. The Office of Student Records and Registration performs an official review of the final transcript prior to entering Washington College.

    The maximum number of credits that will transfer is 72, from both a 2- and a 4-year institution.

    Any questions you have about your credits at a former institution and the transfer of those credits, registering for classes, and the academic requirements at Washington College should also be directed to [email protected].

    Will I have to take an FYS (First Year Seminar) course?

    This depends upon how many credits you are entering with. Generally, students with 31 or fewer credits are required to take an FYS course.

    How will I be assigned an academic advisor?

    All transfer students are assigned an advisor. If you will be taking an FYS,  you will be assigned your advisor based on your FYS section.

    If you do not need to take an FYS and are ready to declare your major, you will be assigned to a faculty advisor in your major as well as a staff transition advisor to support you, especially during your first semester as part of the flock.

    I don’t have my e-mail account set up yet. How can I do that?

    Claim your account here.  If you are having difficulties, you can e-mail the Help Desk  at [email protected] or call 410-778-7777.

    Residential Life

    Am I allowed to live off campus?

    All first- and second-year students are required to live on campus and the College expects transfers to spend at least one academic year on campus when they arrive. Under certain conditions, the off-campus review committee may decide to allow an exemption. Students requesting an exemption from the housing requirement must complete both the Housing Exemption Form and the Off-Campus Information Form.

    If I’m living on campus, will I live with another transfer student?

    Housing is done according to age and compatibility rather than whether or not you are a transfer student. Therefore, you may be housed with a current student or another transfer student. The housing process takes several factors into consideration, such as neatness and study habits. Roommates/suitemates are matched accordingly. If you have specific questions about your housing assignment, please contact the Office of Residential Life at [email protected] or by calling 410-778-7752.

    What if I transfer in January?

    All students who transfer to Washington College in January, regardless of the number of credits they bring to Washington College, participate in the same orientation. A small group of Peer Mentors are assigned to work with this group.

    Life on Campus

    Is it hard to get involved in campus life as a transfer student?

    No, it is not difficult to get involved! There are more than 90 different clubs and organizations in which students can participate during their time at WC. These clubs welcome new members at any point in the academic year, whether they are first-year students, transfers, or upperclassmen. Additionally, at the beginning of each semester, a club fair is held to inform new students about various opportunities to get involved in campus life. If you would like more information about getting involved in clubs and organizations, you can check out Campus Groups for more info.

    Am I required to take the Vector Prevention Modules?

    All new students are required to complete online modules through Vector before classes begin.  If you believe you should be exempted for any reason, have any questions, or want to speak to someone about the requirement contact the Office of Student Affairs at [email protected]

    Do I need to a get a new physical if I already had one at my last institution?

    Washington College Health Services will only accept documentation of a physical that has occurred within six months of the due date of completed forms. All new students must complete the required Washington College Health Form by August 1 for students entering in the Fall and January 15th for students entering in the Spring. For questions about your health forms or other health information, contact Health Services at 410-778-7261.